Home About Login Current Archives Announcements Editorial Board
Submit Now For Authors Call for Submissions Statistics Contact
Home > Archives > Volume 20, No 8 (2022) > Article

DOI: 10.14704/nq.2022.20.8.NQ44874

HISTOPATHOLOGICAL STUDY OF NASAL MASSES IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL

Gurpreet Kour Archana Gupta, K C Goswami, Arvind Khajuria

Abstract

Background: The nasal cavity is the most cephalic part of the respiratory tract which communicates with the external environment via the anterior apertures and with the nasopharynx via the posterior apertures. Sinonasal masses have inflicted man from time immemorial. A variety of inflammatory and neoplastic conditions involve the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses Aims and Objectives 1) To study histopathological pattern of nasal masses. 2) To classify the lesions into non-neoplastic or neoplastic category. 3) To determine relative distribution of various lesions with regard to age and sex. Materials and Methods: The present study was conducted over a period of two years- 1) Retrospective analysis (November 1, 2019 to October 31, 2020). 2) Prospective analysis (November 1, 2020 to October31, 2021). For retrospective study, all information regarding cases of nasal masses was collected from the records available in the department of pathology. All the stained slides were reviewed along with clinical information. For prospective analysis, all the specimen of nasal masses were received carefully along with proper history, relevant investigations and type of biopsy. The information was recorded in a pre-structured proforma. Results: Out of 50 patients, 37 (74%) patients had non- neoplastic disease and the remaining 13 (26%) patients had variety of neoplastic lesions of the nasal cavity. Among the patients having nonneoplastic lesions, inflammatory polyp was the most common diagnosis and was present in 29 (78%) patients. Among benign lesions, a total of three cases of hemangiomas were observed accounting for 43% of the benign tumors in the present study. In our study one (14.3%) case was diagnosed as angiofibroma. Two (28.6%) cases of inverted papillomas were observed. One (14.3%) case of cementoossifying fibroma was seen. Among malignant lesions one (16.6%) case each of squamous cell carcinoma, adenoid cystic carcinoma, olfactory neuroblastoma, embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma, chordoma and malignant melanoma was seen. Conclusion: Histopathological examination is the only means of determining whether the lesion is neoplastic or non-neoplastic.

Keywords

Neoplasm, polyp, papilloma, angiofibroma, embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma.

Full Text

PDF

References

?>